Just KKJ

Just KKJ
She Believed She Could ,So She Did

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

THE CASE OF THE SUMMER BRAIN FREEZE

Game Addiction Stock Image

As of Yesterday. Summer has officially began around my house for my rising 11th grader. ( Pass the box of tissues please). When I got home yesterday
 he had ordered Chinese food and was relaxing in his unmade bed ( At 7:00PM,Smirk,rolls eyes and sucks teeth). Although
 summer may be awesome for kids because they get to stay up late, sleep in and order Chinese food ( SIDE EYE). For parents this can be an extremely challenging time of the year. On one hand we are elated to get a break from the rat race of preparing our little men and women for school, rushing to bus stops, snatching homework out of the dogs mouth and hearing about how lunch accidentally missed there mouths and ended up on there shirts. while also being conflicted with what the heck to do with them during the summer to keep there little brains from turning into mush.. I'm not sure about you guys but my son loves his online gaming. If I would let him, his summer would be full of nothing but XBOX Live and YOUTUBE. 
 In his younger years I micromanaged his time on those devices and gave him set times to be on, off and made sure all of the games were age appropriate. He will be turning 16 in less than 60 days and in an effort to allow him to start making his own judgement calls on the lesser evils of teenage hood like when to go to bed in the summer and wiping his own hiney. Iv'e loosened my reins a bit and stopped limiting
 his gaming to 2 hours a day. The weird thing is when he was younger he would cry to stay up all night on the game. Since I've become a little more lenient. When I walk past his bedroom door at 10:00, 10:30. He's fast asleep. And that's A OK with me. Especially since he's got plenty of scholastic,fun and exciting things in store for his summer vacation.
 Some which he was ecstatic about and others that he tried to convince me would surely turn him into the worlds biggest geek. Like a mom, I signed him up for them all anyway. Because, I know in the long run he'll be happy that he took them. Us parents know all too well how
summer extra curricular activities and camps can hurt your pockets and have you missing your sew in appointment for a few weeks. So in search of new things for my son to do,
 a few years back I started researching summer enrichment programs and activities. I hit the jackpot when I found that most local recreation
 centers offer a plethora of fun and affordable stuff to do for kids of all ages. Also, I know most local libraries offer a summer reading program for students of all grade levels.
 It includes a list of books per age/ grade level to be read. And the best part is depending upon how many books off of that list your child reads. There are prizes that they can win. And not just mediocre prizes, I mean Ipads, Ipods and all sorts of cool stuff. My son has had great experiences for the last few years with activities like swimming lessons, S.A.T. Prep and this year he will be adding boxing to his repertoire. Guys, the best part about these activities are that they are very economical. Which leaves me with a little pocket change to take the brat on a much needed summer vacation.. If you are at all interested. It's definitely worth looking into.
They will hate you for interrupting there play time, But thank you for the experiences.
Until next time Be Blessed and Beautiful my loves...# Smooches



No comments:

Post a Comment